Plantation Weekend in St. Francisville, Louisiana
A Complete Plantation Experience
Three days / two nights
This tour is ideal for people who want to immerse themselves in the ambiance of the land and time “Gone With the Wind”, who enjoy the architecture and culture of the Old South, who love antiques and furnishings…or who just want a getaway weekend into another world!
You will live an ante bellum plantation dream as you stay overnight at Greenwood Plantation and tour the atmospheric village of St. Francisville plus seven area plantations. Get to know and appreciate the wooded, rolling cotton region called English Louisiana or The Felicianas – the “Happy Land,” thirty minutes north of Baton Rouge, on the banks of the Mighty Mississippi.
- THE COTTAGE – A working plantation with rambling mansion & outbuildings. Andy Jackson slept here after the Battle of New Orleans.
- THE MYRTLES – Called “America’s Most Haunted House”. A look into plantation history, both seen and unseen.
- ROSEDOWN – Famed gardens and mansion, denoting the elegance of the Old South.
- GREENWOOD – An enormous Greek Revival temple set deep in the Feliciana Woods.
- OAKLEY – Forest home of naturalist John James Audubon and his pupil Eliza Pirrie.
- CATALPA – A charming tour featuring world class antiques.
- AFTON VILLA – Boldly colorful gardens surrounding the ruins of the once impressive Gothic villa, sadly lost to fire.
- Two nights at the Greenwood Plantation B&B
- Two full plantation breakfasts, two lunches, and two dinners
- All tour admission fees
- Motorcoach transport around St. Francisville and to/from New Orleans Airport
- Background materials with suggested readings and keepsake notes
Throughout the trip you will have the benefit of hearing cultural and historical experts talk with you about the life and homes of the people who lived here in the era now just a memory. Many of these will be the owners of the plantations themselves!