Heritage Tours presents another in its “TEACHING THROUGH TRAVEL” series of History Field Trips for Students and their Parents
The Cradle of Texas
San Antonio is the place where every student, young or old, of Texas history must go. There is nothing like seeing The Alamo in person, feeling the drama that took place there. Visiting the Missions, such as San Jose, is critical to understanding the Spanish settlement of Texas. Your history field trip to Old San Antone will encompass:
Based on your departure point, the drive to and from San Antonio will give our staff the opportunity to talk about the history of Texas up and down the I-35 corridor, such as the Czech and German immigration, the cotton culture of the Blackland Prairie, and the importance of courthouses and county government.
You will have free time to explore the Riverwalk on your own and other great San Antonio attractions. Dinner both nights will be on your own.
- The Alamo and the support activities that teach its history, such as the Museum in the Alamo compound, the Alamo bookstore with its grand model of the battle, and The IMAX Theater Film.
- The Missions, particularly San Jose, where you will learn about the centuries long colonization of Texas by the Spanish friars and soldiers. The Education Director will explain to the students all about the Spanish period of Texas history.
- The Institute of Texan Cultures – where the students will become acquainted with the many diverse peoples that have populated Texas. The staff of the Institute will take our group through the exhibits to give them a thorough background.
- Historical tour of San Antonio – from Docia Williams, the popular author and historian of San Antonio, who will teach the travelers about the city’s long history through visits to the Spanish Governors Palace and other key local sites, based on weather, availability and security, such as Casa Navarro, Fort Sam Houston, the Cathedral, and the Botanical Gardens.
This field trip gives your students access to expert historian guides and their detailed and thorough historical explanations you would not have otherwise.
The field trip package can include:
- Two nights in downtown San Antonio, within walking distance of all the important places, and with breakfast included.
- Motorcoach transportation from a fully licensed and insured charter company.
- Drinks and snacks on the motorcoach.
- Two lunches as described above.
- Educational tours from the guides and leaders as mentioned above.
- Study materials with suggested readings and keepsake notes.
On this trip, your students will learn:
- The history of the Missions and the Spanish colonization of Texas.
- The inspiring story of the episode at The Alamo.
- The story of the many immigrant groups that have settled Texas.
The presenters on this field trip include:
- Historical Specialists at each of the places listed above, as well as the lecturers from Heritage Tours, and well-known San Antonio historian Docia Williams.
Texas International Tours uses only fully licensed and insured motorcoach companies and full-time professional drivers.